Thai green Papaya Salad
Som Tom Malakaw
Peel the papaya and rinse under running water, remove the seeds and shred the
flesh with a grater and set aside. In the mortar and pestle add the garlic, chilies
and beans, pound for just a minute. The add the papaya, dried shrimp, fish sauce,
lime juice, palm sugar, tamarind water and tomatoes. Gently pound using a large
spoon to mix as you pound until the palm sugar has melted. Put the ingredients
on a serving plate then add the roasted peanuts on the top. Serve with cabbage
wedges and sliced cucumber on the side.
- 2 cups green papaya peeled and shredded (substitute: green hard mango or
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-2 birds eye chilies
- ½ cup long been or green bean, cut into ½ to 1 inch lengths.
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp, rinsed and dried
- 1-2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp tamarind water/juice
- 1tbsp palm sugar
- 1-2 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts
Note: You can leave out the papaya and combine everything else and use as
a salad dressing over fresh cucumber and onions (onions optional).
Other Thai Cooking Lessons with Recipes and Video